Kirk L. Works, M.D. Memorial Scholarship
The Kirk L. Works, M.D. Memorial Scholarship honors the legacy of Dr. Works and supports students pursuing higher education in health care fields.
The Kirk L. Works, M.D. Memorial Scholarship was established at the UPMC Community Health Foundation in honor of Dr. Works, who had a distinguished career as a doctor of gastroenterology in the Shenango Valley and Greenville region of Pennsylvania for 32 years. Dr. Works was admired by his patients and colleagues for demonstrating the attributes of an exemplary physician: kindness, compassion, intelligence, and respect. He was dedicated to the communities and people that he served and valued higher education.
This scholarship was established by the family to continue the legacy of Dr. Works by supporting eligible graduates from several high schools in Mercer County, Pennsylvania who plan to pursue further education in the field of medicine or a health care related profession. Students who meet the criteria below are encouraged to apply. Applications are reviewed by a committee made of up health care professionals and community members and scholarships are awarded to winners each spring.
Applications for the Kirk L. Works, M.D. Memorial Scholarship will be considered from students who satisfy the following criteria:
- Applicants must be graduating during the current school year from one of the following Mercer County, Pennsylvania high schools: Farell, Greenville, Hermitage, Jamestown, Kennedy Catholic, Mercer, Reynolds, Sharpsville, or West Middlesex
- Applicants must have at least a 3.3 cumulative GPA.
- Applicants must be planning to begin pursuing a postsecondary education beginning in the upcoming Fall semester.
- Applicants must be seeking a degree in a health field, with an emphasis in clinical care, with preference given to students planning to study biology or chemistry (as pre-medical fields), pharmacy, physician’s assistant, physical therapy, occupational or speech therapy, psychology, nursing, clinical nutrition/dietetics, or social work.
- The application window opens on February 1, 2024. Applications for this year’s cycle for this year’s cycle must be submitted to the Foundation by April 1, 2024.
- Applications will be selected by a scholarship committee and winners will be notified by the committee upon a final decision.
To apply for the Scholarship, please click here to download a copy of the instructions and application. Applicants must submit a completed application along with a letter of reference, a copy of the student’s high school transcript, a letter of acceptance from an accredited university, college, or school, and an essay (maximum length of two pages) per the application instructions.
Please submit completed applications to:
UPMC Horizon Community Health Foundation
Attn: Kelly Haux
1211 Wilmington Avenue
New Castle, PA 16105
OR: Email to email@example.com.
For questions, please contact Kelly Haux at the email listed above.
The Kirk L. Works, M.D. Memorial Scholarship is supported through donors’ generosity. Your tax-deductible donation to the Scholarship is deeply appreciated and will be used to support students from select Mercer County, Pennsylvania high schools who are pursuing higher education in a heath care related field.
If you have any questions about making a donation to the Scholarship, or if you would like to discuss how to make your gift, please contact the Foundation at 724-656-4106.
Download the application and instructions here.